We are the original women’s bicycling company founded in 1985 by Georgena Terry.
For over 30 years, we’ve been disrupting the bicycle industry – designing innovative bikes, saddles, apparel and accessories that fit mobilized women who believe their wheels are their wings and that pure performance and feminine style can ride in tandem. We are 100% dedicated to making cycling a more comfortable experience for all women.
As cyclists, we’re part of an illustrious sisterhood of athletes and adventurers. We ride through wind and rain. We sweat. We dream. We discover. We push ourselves to and past our limits. We take each day and ride it to its fullest. We’re refugees from the corporate world joined together by a love for cycling and life balance.
Because we believe in the transformational power of cycling, we’re not just about selling products but helping you to be the best cyclist you’re capable of being. We offer support for all kinds of cycling and are driven to one mission:
Get more women riding bicycles—comfortably, safely and beautifully.
Thanks for riding with us.
Terry Bicycles History – A Timeline
- Georgena Terry introduces hand-built, women-specific bicycles to the US, encouraging women to “have a fit”.
- Terry introduces women-specific bike apparel.
- Women’s Sport saddle designed to respond to female cyclists’ requests for more comfortable bike seats.
- 1st saddle patent.
- Georgena Terry named one of 4 cycling pioneers by Bicycling magazine.
- Women’s Liberator introduced.
- First consumer mail-order catalog sent.
Men’s Liberator introduced. A stunning 50,000 units sold.
- Patent received on Liberator design. Terry buys GKA (girls kick ass) and introduces skorts for cycling.
- Men’s Liberator becomes best selling Terry product.
- Terry begins sponsorship of pro women’s road racing team, focusing on developing young female riders.
- Italian Fly and Butterfly saddles introduced.
- Georgena named one of 11 cycling innovators by Outside Magazine. She’s the only woman recognized.
- Company celebrates 6 years of double-digit sales growth.
- Fly Ti named best saddle for men by Outside magazine.
- Terry awarded Marketer of the Year by Direct Marketing Association of New York.
- Terry Firefly saddle selected Editor’s Choice, Bicycling.
- Terry profiled on NPR and donates thousands of dollars to breast cancer research and to grassland conservation efforts.
- Terry Bella Shorts named Bicycling magazine’s Editor’s Choice, its first year in the market.
- Terry holds first Wild Goose Chase women’s benefit ride along Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
- Fly and Butterfly sales top 100,000.
- Terry sells majority interest to Elisabeth Robert, former CEO of Vermont Teddy Bear.
- Women’s Falcon saddle named Bicycling magazine’s Editor’s Choice.
- Company moves to cycling hub of Burlington, Vermont.
- JDK Design partnership infuses Terry with new brand and creative energy.
- Advanced Sports International licenses Terry bikes and works with Georgena Terry to introduce a line of ready-to-ride bicycles to a broader market.
- Georgena Terry receives OIWC Pioneering Woman award.
- Terry launches RIDE IT FORWARD bicycle grant program, inspiring women to ride, one bike at a time.
- Terry VIP program begins.
- Terry Bicycles teams up with Sojourn Bike Tours for a Lake Champlain Tour.
- Women's FLX Gel saddle wins Bicycling Magazine's Saddle Shoot Out.
- Breakaway short named Bicycling Magazine’s Editor’s Choice.
- Terry begins charitable partnership with Lund Ride for Children.
- Launch of Wellness Revolution partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont.
- Bicycle Magazine features the New Butterfly Century saddle.
- New Terry Director of Happiness, Zuheros the Australian Shepherd.
- Terry Bicycles celebrates 30 years of leading innovation in women’s cycling!
- Terry named Internet Retailer “Hot 100” retail website.
- The Soleil Collection is introduced and rapidly becomes the best selling product line at Terry thanks to minimalist design and UPF 50+ sun protection.
- Terry’s direct to consumer business is one of the featured United States Postal Service advertising campaigns. We’re on TV!
- REI extends Terry apparel and saddles into every REI location in the USA.
- A big year for product innovation: Holster bottoms, Metro Lite skorts and shorts, Soleil Flow, Bike Bermuda, Butterfly Galactic, Topo MTB saddle and the Raven.
- The summer’s Tour de France apparel collection shatters all sales records.
- After years of freelance partnership, Wayne Hammond joins the company as Director of Print and Product Design.
- In addition to being named an Amazon Choice product, Bicycling Magazine nominates Bella Shorts as Best Cycling Shorts, 2019.
- Bicycle Retailer and Industry News features Terry in its September cover story, “Apparel with Appeal in 2020.”
- Terry returns to RAGBRAI after a 30-year hiatus.
47 Maple Street, Burlington VT 05401 :: email us :: blog